Avoid products that contain alcohol. You may take: Cough drops (throat lozenges), such as Halls, Ricola or Cepacol. Guaifenesin (Mucinex, plain Robitussin) for a dry cough.
Can you use menthol cough drops while pregnant?
It’s always good to exercise caution and use medication sparingly, but the consensus in the medical community is that most cough drops are entirely safe. If you want to be abundantly cautious, you may want to consider skipping lozenges that contain the ingredients dextromethorphan, menthol, or peppermint oil.
What throat lozenges are safe in pregnancy?
- Ideally, to soothe a sore throat, we recommend gargling with salt water, or sipping lemon juice with honey.
- Short term use of Betadine Gargle is generally considered safe in pregnancy.
- Throat lozenges, such as Strepsils, are safe to use in pregnancy.
Can I have Vicks VapoDrops when pregnant?
Talk with the doctor before giving this medicine (Vicks VapoDrops) to a child. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using this medicine (Vicks VapoDrops) while you are pregnant. Tell the doctor if your child is breast-feeding a baby.
What are the best cough drops while pregnant?
Robitussin DM (guaifenesin + dextromethorphan), 2 teaspoons every 4 hours. Cough drops also may be used.
What helps a sore throat while pregnant?
- Gargle with warm salt water to help your sore throat feel better.
- Avoid cold liquids, which can aggravate a sore throat. Instead, try caffeine-free herbal teas, such as chamomile or lemon tea with cinnamon. Be sure to stay hydrated.
- Get plenty of rest to allow your body to heal.
How do you fight a cold when pregnant?
- menthol rub on your chest, temples, and under the nose.
- nasal strips, which are sticky pads that open congested airways.
- cough drops or lozenges.
- acetaminophen (Tylenol) for aches, pains, and fevers.
- cough suppressant at night.
- expectorant during the day.
Can you have honey while pregnant?
Fortunately, honey does not carry the same risks as many other uncooked or unpasteurized foods. In general, honey is a safe sweet treat for you during pregnancy. So if you want to swirl some honey in your tea, use it to sweeten your baked goods, or take a spoonful to soothe a sore throat, feel free.
Can sore throat harm baby during pregnancy?
Although it does not often happen, untreated strep throat during pregnancy can lead to serious medical complications in both the woman and the fetus.
Can getting sick while pregnant hurt the baby?
Maternal Cold or Flu with Fever During Pregnancy May Be Linked to Birth Defects. A study from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) found that women who had a cold or flu with fever just before or during early pregnancy may be more likely to have a baby born with a birth defect.
Do colds last longer when pregnant?
Most women will experience at least one cold during their pregnancy. You’re more prone to colds—and they can last longer—while you’re expecting, because pregnancy suppresses the immune system.
Are Strepsils OK in pregnancy?
Conclusions: The use of Kalgaron® or Strepsils® during pregnancy was not associated with an increased risk of malformations, spontaneous abortions or decreased birthweight. However, larger studies are needed to confirm the safety of these medications during pregnancy.
Can I take honey and lemon Strepsils while pregnant?
Strepsils honey and lemon lozenges are not expected to be harmful if used during pregnancy or breastfeeding. However, as their safety has not been fully studied, and as with all medicines, you should get advice from your doctor, pharmacist or midwife before taking them if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.