Definition of dissension
: disagreement especially : partisan and contentious quarreling causing dissension within the police department a colony threatened by religious dissension.
What does internal dissension mean?
uncountable noun. Dissent is strong disagreement or dissatisfaction with a decision or opinion, especially one that is supported by most people or by people in authority.
What is a dissension or disagreement?
dissension in American English
1. strong disagreement; a contention or quarrel; discord. 2. difference in sentiment or opinion; disagreement. SYNONYMS 1.
How do you use dissension in a sentence?
- Dissension was growing between the two political parties as more scandals came out through the media.
- Because he bought a new boat without telling his wife, dissension brewed in the once happy household.
- Dissension of the new law came to a head and protestors swarmed the streets in anger.
What is difference between dissension and discord?
Some common synonyms of dissension are conflict, contention, discord, strife, and variance. While all these words mean “a state or condition marked by a lack of agreement or harmony,” dissension implies strife or discord and stresses a division into factions.
What is the opposite of ascension?
Antonyms. fall follow levitation gravitation walk decreasing descent.
How do you deal with dissension?
- Ask for critiques. Soliciting criticism is the only way to make your people feel comfortable voicing it. …
- Ask follow-up questions. …
- Make sure the comments are directed to the people who need to hear them. …
- Ask for solutions. …
- Rework the plan together. …
- Express gratitude for the dissent.
What does discord mean in the Bible?
To sow discord is to say and do things which cause distrust among one another, which results in arguments and fights. Usually the ‘sower’ is acting as if he/she is not trying to cause arguments. Sowing discord is something done in secret, done by deceit authored by the father of deceit.
Is dissention a word?
Definition of ‘dissention’
The political dissention that punctuated the 17th century was bubbling up again. In 2010, the club were riven with dissention and debt. There was dissention in the ranks of those who remained.
What does dissension among the ranks mean?
DISSENT IN THE RANKS mean: a) a difference of opinion; disagreement or, esp., discord as expressed in intense quarreling or wrangling, as within a group [dissension among party members]: often in dissension in the ranks, dissatisfaction with those in authority.
What is internal dissension in the workplace?
Dissent in the workplace is a disagreement with an opinion, a policy or a decision. While it can be uncomfortable at times, it is generally seen as a positive force in the workplace.
How do you use relegate in a sentence?
I was going to relegate Mr lupus to the basement the top floor was all mine. That being said, you also don’t have to relegate yourself to buying multiple pairs of “granny panties”, unless of course you like them.
How do you use malevolence in a sentence?
- The sheer malevolence she saw there brought back memories she thought she had forgotten. …
- These two were regarding him with something that felt like malevolence. …
- She never forgave him that, repeated it to their friends, as if it were the ultimate in male malevolence.
How do you use discordant in a sentence?
- The usual cry is harsh and discordant, but many softer notes are employed. …
- Darian closed his eyes and watched the discordant memories flickering through her mind, not wanting her to suffer alone. …
- Like music, what will suit the voice of one person will sound discordant from another.
Which is correct dissension or dissention?
These words are not equivalent. Dissent is disagreement with an opinion, especially with a majority view. Dissension is serious and persistent disagreement among a group of people, especially ill-natured disagreement which leads to quarrels.
What is the difference between strife and discord?
While in some cases nearly identical to strife, discord implies an intrinsic or essential lack of harmony producing quarreling, factiousness, or antagonism.
Is discrepancy the same as disagreement?
noun, plural dis·crep·an·cies for 2. the state or quality of being discrepant or in disagreement, as by displaying an unexpected or unacceptable difference; inconsistency: The discrepancy between the evidence and his account of what happened led to his arrest.
What is the word for ascending to heaven?
Definition of ‘ascension’
… the two-day holiday marking the Prophet’s ascension to heaven. Synonyms: rise, rising, mounting, climb More Synonyms of ascension. singular noun [with poss, usu N to n]
What’s a synonym for ascension?
nounmovement upward; upward slope. acclivity. ascension. ascent. climb.
What is an example of dissent?
The definition of dissent is to differ in opinion. An example of dissent is for two children to disagree over who gets to play with a specific toy. (law) To reach a conclusion contrary to the majority of the judges deciding a case; render a minority opinion.
What are the types of dissent?
There are three types of dissent: articulated, latent, and displaced (Kassing, 1998).
How do you dissent?
Be it verbally or via email, think carefully about the words you want to use and do your best to leave emotion out of it.” When drafting your own personal dissent, act — don’t react. Be it verbally or via email, think carefully about the words you want to use and do your best to leave emotion out of it.